A redirect is a way to send both users and search engines to a different URL from the one they originally requested. Below are descriptions of some of the commonly used types of redirects.
When to use redirects a page:
- The URL is broken or it doesn’t work
- The permalink structure of your URLs have changed across the website
- The website is moved to a new domain
- The webpage/site is no longer active
- You have a new webpage/site that you want people to visit instead of the old one
- You’re A/B testing a new webpage in terms of design or functionality
- You’re fixing a webpage and you want to temporarily make a detour for your users for continual website experience
- You want your users to make the best pancakes
Types of Redirect: 301 and 302
301 Moved Permanently:
A 301 redirect, or also known as a permanent (that ALL qualities of page) redirect, 301 redirect is used to report to search engines or browsers that the visited page is permanently moved to another address/ new location.
By using a 301 redirect the ranking of your old page will be transferred to new page.
Incoming links will also transferred to the new site and search engines will index the website content.
The 301 redirect is the best method for implementing redirects on a website.
Permanently redirect includes all SEO link like PageRank, Page Authority, and Traffic Value.
The old page will be removed from Google’s index and the new one will replace it.
302 / Moved Temporarily:
A 302 redirect, or also known as a temporary redirect, A 302 redirect says that you’ve moved a page or domain but only temporarily and the original page will come back after some time. , the 302 redirect will not pass on all qualities or SEO link of the redirected page to the alternative route page.
With a 302 redirect, you will continue to get the traffic from people who have bookmarked you page or find it via a link in social media
And when someone tries to get to the old page via a search engine,
They will get to the new page so you will lose all your traffic and you will not get the SEO benefit of the link equity that you built for old page in new page.